Friends of the Library
Who Are the Friends?
The Friends of the Scarsdale Library was formed in 1968, and in the years since has grown to encompass some 800 members. Our primary goal is to support the Library as it serves our community. We strive to focus public attention on the Library’s services, facilities, and needs. Check out our Membership page to see how you can be a part of all we do for our library.
On TUESDAY Nov 29, many supporters attended the town meeting and/or voiced their endorsement of the Library Improvement Project to the Village Trustees. A sincere thank you from the Friends of the Scarsdale Library for this compelling participation!!
We need your presence again on Tuesday, December 13th, when the village trustees will meet to make a decision regarding a referendum or, preferably, to vote favorably on the bond for the village’s part of the Library Improvement Project.
If you are unable to attend the meeting, but would like to indicate your support, you can add your name to the petition for the library improvement plan here.
YOUR PRESENCE AT THE DECEMBER 13TH MEETING AND SIGNATURES ARE NEEDED! PLEASE JOIN US IN BRINGING OUR LIBRARY INTO THE 21st CENTURY!
Below is a PDF info-graphic on the project.
Here are some key points the Friends thought might be helpful to consider regarding the need for this renovation project:
• Scarsdale is behind other communities who have invested in their libraries as a beloved central resource and hub for learning.
• The building is not fully accessible to all, including bathrooms that are not ADA compliant.
• The infrastructure does not permit adequate technology improvements or flexibility.
• The building has $4.5million in deferred maintenance issues, which wrap into this larger project as a dig-once opportunity to make the building relevant for generations more
• Funding for this project has been set up as a public/private partnership, and a robust Campaign Committee has committed to raising $7.5million, making it a very attractive opportunity for the Village.
• The Library’s children’s department is used to capacity and desperately needs expansion and dedicated spaces and program rooms.
• There is no true quiet area, separate from the din of other uses.
• The plan will improve energy efficiency and employ sustainable choices, while increasing the light and experience for the patrons.
• There are no small meeting or mid-sized multi-purpose rooms available for programs or community use by senior and other special interest groups, who would take advantage of increased programming.
• Teens have no dedicated space for homework, collaboration and access to the YA collection
• Project is 6+ years in the planning — it’s thoroughly considered, well researched and its now the right-size for our community, serving everyone.
Westchester County’s premier book sale was a tremendous success. Thank you to our tireless volunteers and enthusiastic book reading community!
Find more details about sale times and volunteer opportunities on our Annual Book Sale page.
2016 Sixth Annual Spelling Bee
BEE BEE KINGS WON the Sixth Annual Spelling Bee, with the teen team, The Jelly Beens coming in second! Click here for more details about our Sixth Annual event.
Bookmarks has information about upcoming events, so check back for the latest edition for all kinds of wonderful happenings at the library.
Bookmarks Final Summer issue is available for viewing – just click on the link!
In the past few years the Friends have extended the reach of the Library budget by contributing to a number of important and innovative projects, including:
- Children’s Room We contributed to upgraded lighting and carpeting for the Children’s Room.
- Master Plan The Friends helped to support the hiring of an architect to work with the Board in devising a master plan for the library’s future .