Friends of the Library
Who Are the Friends?
The Friends of the Scarsdale Library was formed in 1968, and in the years since has grown to encompass some 800 members. Our primary goal is to support the Library as it serves our community. We strive to focus public attention on the Library’s services, facilities, and needs. Check out our Membership page to see how you can be a part of all we do for our library.
Dear Friends and Supporters of the Scarsdale Library Improvement Plan,
How can we begin to thank you all for the extraordinary energy, talent and enthusiasm you have brought to bear on advocating for the Library Improvement Plan?
So many of you have written letters, come to speak out at meetings, rounded up petition signatures, and otherwise helped educate your friends and neighbors about the project – which all contributed to galvanizing the support that brought us to this point. You are truly supporters of the Scarsdale Library – and, on behalf of the Library Board and our Capital Campaign Committee, we cannot thank you enough!
You have probably heard by now of Tuesday night’s decision by the Village Board to approve a $9.9 million bond toward the project – just the commitment we needed to move forward with remaining fundraising so that we can reach our $7.5 million private goal. As the trustees spoke individually, the six who voted to support the project made clear that the detailed work they have done with us over the past several years had really given them a good understanding of the project and why it will benefit the entire community. You can watch the whole meeting on www.scarsdale.com, or read about it on Scarsdale10583.com.
We will be in touch soon to talk about next steps in the campaign, but we wanted promptly to express our sincere thanks to all of you for your commitment to this very special team.
Best to all of you for the holidays and a wonderful 2017.
Terri Simon Dara Gruenberg
President, Library Board Co-Chair, Campaign Committee
Click here for a PDF info-graphic on the project.
Here are some key points the Friends thought might be helpful to consider regarding the need for this renovation project:
• Scarsdale is behind other communities who have invested in their libraries as a beloved central resource and hub for learning.
• The building is not fully accessible to all, including bathrooms that are not ADA compliant.
• The infrastructure does not permit adequate technology improvements or flexibility.
• The building has $4.5million in deferred maintenance issues, which wrap into this larger project as a dig-once opportunity to make the building relevant for generations more
• Funding for this project has been set up as a public/private partnership, and a robust Campaign Committee has committed to raising $7.5million, making it a very attractive opportunity for the Village.
• The Library’s children’s department is used to capacity and desperately needs expansion and dedicated spaces and program rooms.
• There is no true quiet area, separate from the din of other uses.
• The plan will improve energy efficiency and employ sustainable choices, while increasing the light and experience for the patrons.
• There are no small meeting or mid-sized multi-purpose rooms available for programs or community use by senior and other special interest groups, who would take advantage of increased programming.
• Teens have no dedicated space for homework, collaboration and access to the YA collection
• Project is 6+ years in the planning — it’s thoroughly considered, well researched and its now the right-size for our community, serving everyone.
Westchester County’s premier book sale was a tremendous success. Thank you to our tireless volunteers and enthusiastic book reading community!
Find more details about sale times and volunteer opportunities on our Annual Book Sale page.
2016 Sixth Annual Spelling Bee
BEE BEE KINGS WON the Sixth Annual Spelling Bee, with the teen team, The Jelly Beens coming in second! Click here for more details about our Sixth Annual event.
Bookmarks has information about upcoming events, so check back for the latest edition for all kinds of wonderful happenings at the library.
Bookmarks Final Summer issue is available for viewing – just click on the link!
In the past few years the Friends have extended the reach of the Library budget by contributing to a number of important and innovative projects, including:
- Children’s Room We contributed to upgraded lighting and carpeting for the Children’s Room.
- Master Plan The Friends helped to support the hiring of an architect to work with the Board in devising a master plan for the library’s future .